Logical Data Modeler Role | Physical Data Modeler Role
Data Modeler Role:
Data Modelers fall into two major categories of Logical or Physical Data Modelers depending upon the role they play in developing Logical or Physical data models. Based on organization needs, data modelers only do logical data modeling or physical data modeling or combination of both. Nowadays, organizations prefer to hire data modelers, who can do logical as well as physical data modeling efficiently. Logical data modelers interact with stake holders, business analysts, smart management experts (SME) and developers.
Physical data modelers interact with logical data modelers and the database team.
Logical Data Modeler Role:
Business Requirement Analysis:
- Interact with Business Analysts to get the functional requirements.
- Interact with end users and find out the reporting needs.
- Conduct interviews, brain storming discussions with project team to get additional requirements.
- Gather accurate data by data analysis and functional analysis.
Development of data model:
- Create standard abbreviation document for logical, physical and dimensional data models.
- Create logical, physical and dimensional data models (data warehouse data modelling).
- Document logical, physical and dimensional data models (data warehouse data modelling).
- Generate reports from data model.
- Review the data model with functional and technical team.
Support & Maintenance:
- Assist developers, ETL, BI team and end users to understand the data model.
- Maintain change log for each data model.
Physical Data Modeler Role:
- Create sql code from data model and co-ordinate with DBAs to create development, testing, regression and production database.
- Check to see data models and databases are in sync.
- Adding data base objects (like indexes, partitions in oracle database) for performance.
- Generating reports.
- Based on the client’s requirements, the Logical/Physical data modeler may be asked to do PL/SQL coding, ETL process, data profiling, data analysis, DBA activities and evaluation of the software also.
- In US, the Logical/Physical data modeler’s duty and responsibility may change due to demand/supply, regulations from USCIS/Department of Labor etc.